Thursday, February 4, 2010

Do you ever stop doing something for a while and then fall out of the habit? That is what happened lately with the blog. Though I have had a computer for about a week now and internet access for just as long, I haven't been able to think of anything to write about. For the weeks when I couldn't write, I could think of things to say almost daily. The boys would say something funny or cute and I would wish I could write it down (Joe suggested pen and paper, but that seemed like too great of a hassle). But once I had the ability to blog again, I was at a total loss for what to write about. I don't think I have gotten over my writer's block, but oh well. (This same thing happens to me with scripture reading. If I miss more than a day, it is hard for me to find the motivation to start back up again).
Today, I took Porter to register him for school. Porter does not want to go to school yet. Dallin does. I told Porter they might want to talk to him for a minute alone to make sure he knows enough to go to school. He said "I don't." Joe and I tried to remind him of all the things he can do, like spell his name and count and listen to directions, but he is sure that he doesn't belong in kindergarten because he can't read yet. Dallin, on the other hand, tried to pack his "packpack" and kept asking if he was going to come too. He would like his friend Koen to come too. I hope Porter doesn't get so nervous during his kindergarten assessment that he refuses to talk to the teacher or anything.

Here is a non-exhaustive list of the things that I was going to write about in the past couple of weeks:
(1) Dallin kicked Porter one the night and told me that his foot did it. The next morning he woke up and promptly punched Porter in the nose, making Porter bleed. Porter was screaming and I asked Dallin why he had done that. He said it was his Wolverine claws. He told me we had forgotten to nip them. Later that day, Dallin punched Porter in the stomach. Dallin is becoming a bully.
(2) last night Porter wanted to something to eat while he was in bed. I told him it was too late. He kept begging and I kept saying no. Finally he started to cry and said, "parents are supposed to feed their kids when they are hungry." I felt bad then and brought him a piece of cheese.
(3) Because I have to lay on the boys' floor for them to fall asleep, I am always in their room at night. It is not enough for me to be on the floor anymore, Dallin needs more. He has very specific patting and rubbing needs. He will tell me that he wants me to pat him "in the middle" first and then rub his face and then his back. He also needs me to arrange his blankie so that he corner he likes to rub and chew on is in his right hand. One night he also wanted me to hold his hand. When I held it, instead of him holding one of my fingers like he usually does, he held my whole hand. I made me feel like he is not such a little boy anymore. He is getting bigger.
(4) Porter tells us that he is allergic to foods that he doesn't like. So far, he is allergic to: all vegetables, especially carrots, peas, broccoli, tomatoes and celery; eggs; corn bread; meatballs; potatoes; tuna fish; oatmeal; garlic bread; pickles; chicken noodle soup and chicken and dumpling soup (but not tomato soup); and pasta (but not the kind that is in macaroni and cheese). I can't imagine how he survives with such severe food restrictions. Probably the same way his dad manages to survives on such a limited diet.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! I found your blog through Melissa's. I hope you don't mind!
    These are so funny! I love how Dallin blames it on his "wolverine claws". And the comment about not feeding your children when they're hungry, they really know how to pull our heart-strings, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I don't mind Tia. I am always happy to have readers.

    ReplyDelete