Saturday, October 3, 2009

struggling

Today we went on a little bike ride and Dallin got stuck (sometimes his training wheels get at an odd angle and his back wheel will just spin without catching the ground). I asked him how he was doing and he said "I just 'trugglin.'"
Dallin has a superman shirt with an attached cape. He wants to wear it all the time. He thinks it is appropriate for both day time and night time. His favorite thing though is for his cape to blow in the wind. He wore the shirt to daycare on a chilly day but wouldn't wear a sweater outside because it would stop his cape from flying behind him. I finally convinced him after he had been outside for a few minutes that everyone had seen his cape and it was okay to put on his sweater. He especially enjoys wearing the cape while riding his bike.

Porter asked me why his eyes and Dad's eyes are brown, while mine and Dallin's are blue. I decided to explain to him about genetics. I really think every four year old should have a basic grasp of biology :-) . I told him that we all have genes inside us and we each have two for eye color. I explained that brown eyed genes are stronger than blue eyed ones so even though he got a blue eyed one from me, the brown one he got from dad was stronger and made his eyes brown. Dallin and I didn't get any brown eyed genes and so our eyes are blue. He thought I meant that he and Dad were stronger than me and Dallin because they have brown eyes. He has been telling Dallin that brown eyes make you strong and blue eyes don't.
Ms. Shauna from daycare told me a little story about Porter. There is a girl in his class named Amy. Porter calls her crazy Amy. She is very talkative. One day, Porter's class was playing outside. Porter and some of the other boys were playing in one of the toy houses. Amy came over and was talking to them. Porter told her to be quiet. It didn't work. He told her that she had to be quiet or leave. She still didn't stop talking so Porter told her that she had leave. She still didn't stop or leave so one of the other boys yelled, "Didn't you hear what Porter said?!? You have to go away!"

No comments:

Post a Comment