Thursday, September 3, 2009

peddling

Dallin can use the peddles on his bike now! Hooray. He's not the greatest at it yet but at least he doesn't just sit in the middle of the sidewalk hoping the bike will move on its own. He usually starts at the top of the driveway and rides down the sidewalk and around the corner. Then he stops and walks his bike all the way back up to the top of the driveway and starts over again.

A couple of months ago I was talking to Porter about his friend Sage at daycare. Porter said that Sage's dad is in the army. I asked Sage about this and he said that his daddy is in heaven. It made me want to cry but I didn't want to harass Sage about it so I asked him about his mom and he said that she is "crazy" and then did some crazy little dance. That was kind of the end of it. Last night (during his chatty, sleep-avoiding time), Porter told me that Sage dad is dead. He said that Sage's dad was in a car crash and fell out of the car and died. I said that that must make Sage sad. In a tone that made it clear that I was an idiot, Porter said, "no, he still has a mom and a uncle who wears army clothes and comes to get him from daycare." I guess Porter has never really lost anyone (luckily) and doesn't understand that a dad can't be traded for an uncle, even if the uncle wears army clothes. He does seem to understand that people need a mom and a dad though because later, after Dallin told me to go away and I said that I would go away forever, Porter said that Dad would have to find a new mom to take care of them then and they could come visit me after I found a new dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment