Friday, August 28, 2009

venting

Okay, so this is about me and not Porter and Dallin. I went to a women lawyers thing today where we discussed how women get ahead, etc. The topics are a little played out but still interesting to discuss.
Anyway, a number of women expressed frustration that male lawyers, etc. openly ask how women with children will be able to devote the necessary time to the practice, etc. Some questions are friendly and not intended to offend, they are simply asked for curiosity's sake or out of actual compassion for the mother/lawyer. Other questions/questioners are more malicious and intended to make the woman feel inadequate. These women then discussed how women lawyers can have it all, how you can still put in the necessary time and effort and still have children. Underlying all of this though was how it is necessary to have either a very supportive spouse or a good nanny or both.
Although I appreciate the strides that other women have made in this field and their efforts to strike a balance, I am still left feeling unsatisfied. I told a friend of mine, who was in charge of this event that I still feel like there isn't a place for women like me to excel in the legal profession. Someone who wants to work but doesn't want to sacrifice raising her children for a career. I feel like I benefit a great deal from working, learning, etc. but I would be happy to work part time. My friend said that my place is where I am. Sure I have found a job and, don't get me wrong it a good job and I often enjoy it, but it is not the career path I had planned for myself. I don't really have the opportunity to advance, I don't get the legal speciality that Iwould like (or any speciality for that matter), I don't make much money (which is not the most important thing to me, but still. . . ). The path that Iwould like to follow isn't an option for me because in private or even public practice it is still basically unheard of to only work 40 hours a week, much less work some of those hours at home. The few times I have decided to try to find a different job, I hit the same roadblocks, that I am not willing to work the schedule that would be required.
I am feeling a little lost right now. I feel like, even in trying to be a good mom, I am still short changing my kids and it is all for naught because I am also short changing my career. This is why I try not to hang out with other lawyers too much, it always starts me on this little spiral of negative thinking. I will try to remember that I everyone makes compromises and at least I don't feel like I have totally compromised the things that are important to me. Okay. Enough of this.

3 comments:

  1. Quote from Brigham Young :
    "We think the sisters ought to have the privilege to study various branches of knowledge that they may develop the powers with which they are endowed. Women are useful, not only to sweep houses, wash dishes, make beds, and raise babies, but they may also stand behind the counter, study law and physic [medicine], or become good bookkeepers, and all this to enlarge their sphere or usefulness for the benefit of society at large. In following these things they but answer the design of their creation."
    Our church is wonderful and luckily does not condone working and learning for our own good. I'm sorry you feel frustrated about where you perhaps fit in and what is the right thing to do right now. Pray about it and hopefully you will feel at peace with decisions that need to be made- whether stay or look for a new job; whatever you want to do I hope you become happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you, stay true to yourself. You are a great mom. I loved watching how calm you are to your boys, you are a great example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I feel inadequate being a stay at home mom. I think we all feel that way sometimes no matter what circumstances we find ourselves. I believe you are a great mom and a great lawyer! We need to hang out more often!!

    ReplyDelete