Friday, April 3, 2009

sleep cont. and other random events

I thought I had solved my sleeping dilemma. I put Dallin in Porter in bed together. Though it was more effort for me at the outset because I had to deal with the constant demands of two small boys for something to drink, blanket adjustment, etc., plus I needed to stay in Porter's room to shush Dallin repeatedly, once the boys were both asleep, my nighttime efforts seemed substantially lessened. Neither woke up as much because they had each other and didn't seem to get as scared. The first night, they didn't wake up until 6:30 am. They both came into my room and got me up. Joe tried to talk them into going back to bed but they wouldn't unless I came too. When we got there, Porter said he needed his nose blown. Dallin said he needed candy. Porter told Dallin to wait until morning and then they both fell back asleep for another hour or so. This didn't seem so bad. The past two nights though, it has gone back to being difficult. They both wake up repeatedly, wake each other up, and then come to get me. I end up sleeping on the floor in Porter's room now instead of in Dallin's room. Plus, since they are getting tucked in together, they fight about the books we are going to read. Hmm. . . I really thought I had this all figured out too.

Jacob came over the other day to collect his mail and Dallin was really excited to see him. Dallin went to his little pile of daycare artwork and pulled out a bunny he had made with cotton balls stuck to it. He said that he had made it for Uncle Jacob and then headed downstairs to bring it to him. I didn't want to intrude so I left Dallin on his own to give the picture to Jacob. I hope Jacob liked it. Later, Dallin, Porter and Jacob wrestled. Dallin called Jacob a "stink butt." (Dallin has been calling people butts lately and it is driving me crazy. The last time Jacob came over, Porter told me, "Jacob came over to tell us new stories." "What stories did he tell you?" I asked. Porter replied, "I don't know, he only talked to Dad."

Porter figured out how to write "Dad" and wrote it on top of a picture of Batman that he colored. The next morning, Porter found the picture and was worried that Joe wouldn't have it at work. He wanted me to drive him to Joe's office to bring it to him but then decided that Dad could just get it that night.

Finally, Dallin and Porter started their soccer lessons on Thursday. Porter liked it more than I expected he would. He did a pretty decent job with the little drills they were given. Dallin, on the other hand, didn't like it at all. He spent at least half the time standing around crying, refusing to kick the ball. I finally took him off to the side and blew his nose. Then I told him that he would have to decide if he wanted to sit on the ground and watch or go out and kick the ball. He said he was ready to behave and we went back to the lessons. He was fine after that. On the upside, Dallin was really well behaved in gymnastics. Last week, he was so difficult, I just packed him up and we left early, with him screaming the whole way out. I guess he remembered because he made an excellent effort to listen to the teacher and participate in class.

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember who it was, but someone I know got their kid a fish when they would wake up scared in the night. Having another creature in the room as well as the glow from the fish tank seemed to help. I get tired just reading your stories. When your boys are older, make them do a lot of work around the house, and when they protest, pull these stories out and tell them that you would do it yourself, but you didn't get nearly enough sleep when you were younger and as a result have less energy.

    ReplyDelete