Wednesday, April 15, 2009

stolen identity

Okay, this is not about Porter and Dallin but I wanted to vent for a few minutes. Today, when I was dropping Porter and Dallin off at daycare, someone apparently broke into my car and took my briefcase. It had my wallet, my phone, my ipod, a spare house key and other rubbish. It also had a file that I had taken home to work on. After noticing that it was gone, I drove home to search for it, thinking that I must have forgotten it. It wasn't at home. I went back to the daycare to search for, thinking I may have brought it inside with the boys' backpacks. It wasn't at daycare.

On my way back to the daycare, my fuel light went on and I started to cry because I had to no money, credit cards, etc. with which to fill my car with gas.

When it finally dawned on me what happened, I called the police, Joe, and work. The police officer came and filled out a report and told me that it was unlikely that my belongings will ever be recovered, unless I can remember the serial number for the Ipod or phone because they may turn up in a pawn shop. Joe came and took me to the gas station and gave me his debit card to use for the day. We then proceeded on to the bank to close all of our/my accounts.

I called to cancel my credit cards and discovered many of them had been used (of course) multiple times already. I tried to report the different usages of the cards and was told that those were separate crimes and I would need to contact each city's police department where the cards were used. I quickly gave up on that and decided that the credit card companies can do it if they would like, since they are not going to charge me and are the real victims.

I spoke with my boss about the stolen file. I asked what can be done, and I (half) jokingly said, "are you going to fire me?" She told me that she didn't know. Ugh!!! So now, I may lose my job for not properly securing the file that I took home with me (because, at least, I am authorized to take files when I telecommute). Hopefully, she and whoever is in charge will see that I wasn't completely negligent, leaving the briefcase for a matter of minutes to run my kids into daycare.

I called the social security office (because I am an idiot who carries her social security card with her) and they said that I need an id, like a driver's license, to get a new social security card. The DMV then said that I need a social security card to get a new driver's license. Hooray. I explained the circular dilemma that I was facing and the DMV said they would take a birth certificate instead, along with some other form of id. What other form?!? I have nothing else. I am a stupid little hermit who carries everything of value in that one briefcase. Now, I need to hunt down my birth certificate.

This is now my to do list for tommorrow: (1) put a check on my credit, (2) figure out where my birth certificate is and then (3) get a new driver's license and social security card, (4) get a new phone, and (5) get the locks changed at my house. After those things are accomplished, I can go about getting a new bar card and replacement membership cards for the places where I have memberships. Finally, I can pray that I don't get fired (maybe everyone else can do that for me too).

Also taken, 1 can of Coke (so I haven't had a Coke all day and it is contributing to my insanity), pictures of my kids, an incomplete job application, appointment cards for my next hair cut and dentist appointments, and my shiny blue wallet that the boys got me for my birthday. I may start to cry again.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda, I am simply sick for you!!! I just don't understand such dishonest people. I will be sending a prayer your way regarding your job. I'm sorry for all the extra things you're having to do because of someone else. Hang in there! I am so so very sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. I think it will be okay. I haven't ever lost a file before or anything, so I think they will understand that I am generally trustworthy. It is just worrisome at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use your passport as a form of ID (even if it has expired as long as it has been expired less than ten years. You had to get one for Japan right? Hopefully that wasn't in the briefcase too!? Also, don't stress too much about not being able to track down your birth certificate. Ordering a certified copy is much easier (I just had to to it for all of us for our recent cruise). And it only cost about 10$. Were you born in Wisconsin?:
    http://dhs.wisconsin.gov/vitalrecords/birth.htm

    If not, just look up the vital statistics office in the state where you were born. You probably know all this already, but just in case...

    I'm so sorry. What a hassle! I guess the boy's daycare doesn't have any kind of video surveillance outside the school or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the advice Cyndi, I will look up the vital records office now. I was born in Chicago. I should still have a passport, it might be at my mom's house though. I will check.

    The daycare doesn't have video surveillance. It really sucks

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! Amanda, that is just awful. Good luck with everything-we'll be praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is devastating. I can't imagine. I think I will write down the serial numbers of my phone and ipod. But I will say: ugh. Ugh to the low life that did this, ugh to the hassle to you, ugh to all that we all let this happen(and yet not)... feels like you can NEVER be too careful. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete