Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

(these are paper dads that Porter and Dallin colored. Dallin gave Joe a long purple scar. Porter put him in red because it is Joe's favorite color)

Sometimes it is easy for me to dwell on Joe's shortcomings (at least in my perception) but I know my boys know they have a good daddy. He works hard us but always has time to say hello if we drop in to visit him. He picks them up at daycare and gives them dinner (sort of) three nights a week. He plays soccer with them and rides bikes with them. He tries to teach them to take care of their things and put things away. He tries to help them learn to be independent, able to build Legos, color pictures, etc. on their own. He helps them get the things they need. For example, he took Porter to buy new soccer shoes on Saturday, since he going to start playing this week. He stopped working on Saturdays so that he could do things with us, like going to the dinosaur museum or the zoo or even just taking care of the yard. He protects them. He makes sure they don't ride their bikes in the street. He also been known to stare down some naughty little boy or two at the playground who are playing too rough to otherwise threatening Porter and Dallin. Sometimes, he even protects them from me. Once I took Porter's drink away at a restaurant because he wasn't eating. While Dallin and I were in the bathroom, Porter called Joe on my phone and told him that I had taken his rootbeer and was being very mean. Joe told Porter to eat his lunch and instructed me to return the rootbeer. He is a good dad who loves Porter and Dallin very much. One of my favorite things is when Joe and I can talk about all the funny little things Porter and Dallin do and say.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this little insight into Joe as a daddy. What fun.

    ReplyDelete