Wednesday, November 4, 2009

battle

Earlier this summer, an epic battle began in our house. Two strong-willed opponents faced off and the outcome was by no means certain. Multiple tactics were employed, some more above-board than others. At times, the tension in the house was almost unbearable. I am speaking, of course, of Joe and Porter's fight over the training wheels. After the seemingly unending struggle, summer has come to an end and bike riding will soon no longer be an option, a winner has emerged. dunt da da da (drum roll) . . . It is Porter. The training wheels remain on the bike. I have to admit that I was rooting for him all along. I am glad that he didn't let his dad threaten, bribe, cajol, or talk him into doing something he didn't feel ready to do. There are times when Porter's stubborness, coupled with his boundless anxieties, try my patience and hold him back. However, I think there is something to be said for knowing your own limitations and deciding for yourself when you are ready to do something. I'm sure that next summer the training wheels will come off and probably with very little struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment