Friday, May 1, 2009

hopefully soon

Hopefully soon, this blog will not be about the various thefts that I have experienced.

Last night, at about midnight, I got a call from a police officer with the gang unit saying that my car had been found and could I come get it right then. They had some kid named Roy in custody and the officer said that he was just sort of the middle man (moving it from one chopping place to the next) and not the guy that originally stole. He will be charged with possession of a stolen vehicle and, hopefully, he will turn in the people who actually took it. By the way, if you are ever a police officer and are calling a crime victim, it might be nice if you didn't do it at midnight from a blocked number so that all manner of panic arise in said victim when the phone rings. Anyway, I said that I couldn't come right then because I would have to wake up my husband and kids and so he said that the car would be towed to an impound lot and I could get it today. I went to the impound lot this morning (it took me like an hour to find because the guy who worked the counter wasn't the brightest and gave me directions based on things like, turn left when you see a bunch of pallets). When I got the impound lot, I found out that they won't release the car to me until I get some kind of release from the DMV, which I then discovered is closed on Fridays because the county offices have gone to a four day work week. I am supposed to come back on Monday with $227 in cash and the certificate from the DMV. Hooray, so I get to go get a car with no back seats, torn apart flooring and cigarette smoke stink pervading it. There was nothing really left in the car. They took Joe's keys off the key ring so that only mine were left. The library book is gone. The car seats are gone. The sippy cup is gone. Everything is gone. They did leave Porter's Batman sunglasses in the glove compartment though. There are also some things missing or damaged in Joe's car and so I think that the theives got into his car too.

One of my judges went on vacation on April 14th. In the two and half weeks she has been gone, the following things have happened to me/my family
(1) my briefcase was stolen;
(2) I got a UTI;
(3) Porter fell and scraped up his face pretty badly;
(4) Porter, Dallin, and I all got the flu to some degree or another;
(5) my car was stolen and returned sans seats. (I also had a useless job interview where they told me that they anticipate having openings in about a year, but except for the hassle of getting dressed up and psyched up for a non-interview, that doesn't seem very important)

Hopefully, when she returns on Monday, she will remove the pins from the voodoo doll she has undoubtedly created of me and my life will be able to progress in the uneventual fashion that it previously did.

I will try to be positive now, before I start kicking things and muttering naughty words to myself. At least I (1) still have a job, (2) have reasonably healthy kids, (3) have a husband who has tried very hard to be nice and helpful throughout, (4) have various forms of insurance so that illness, car theft, credit card theft, etc. are not the financial hardship that they could have been, and (5) have nice friends and family who worry about me and try to help me not feel too down. There, I feel better already (sort of). I would really have appreciated it if the car theives had just totalled the car so that I wouldn't have to take back a stinky, seatless vehicle though.

No comments:

Post a Comment