Friday, May 8, 2009

the difference between dads and moms

Okay, this won't solve the problems of the universe or anything, but I have decided that the difference between dads and moms (if Joe and I can serve as a representative sample) boils down to a couple of different examples (mind you, this is not a judgment on which is better, only an observation on how it is):

(A) When I take the kids somewhere, anywhere, I always bring the following items:
(1) at least two diapers
(2) several extra wipes
(3) juice cups
(4) at least one small toy for each (cars, trains, dinosaurs, etc.)

Depending on the occasion, I often also bring
(1) snacks
(2) extra clothing (including jackets)
(3) more toys, including coloring books and crayons
(4) a handful of quarters for any vending machine, store ride, etc. needs that should arise

When Joe takes the boys somewhere, he generally brings . . . nothing, unless I have packed stuff for the kids already and given it to them or he decides that he might be gone for a while and brings a diaper

(B) When Porter and Dallin outgrown something (clothes, toys, etc.) I generally pack them away and save them for Dallin, if it is something of Porter's, or the next theoretical child, if it is something of Dallin's. This makes for a fairly crowded basement.

If Joe ends up cleaning out the boys closets, drawers, toy bins, etc., the trash can and D.I. pile end up much fuller the next day.

(C) When Porter and Dallin bring home art projects from daycare or church, I put all of the projects in little boxes in their rooms.

If Joe were in charge of art projects, he would send one or two off to grandmas as gifts and then toss the remainder. (In this case, he knows it breaks my heart to throw away any of the boys paintings and so he just gathers them all up and leaves them for me to sort.)

(D) When I take the boys to McDonalds, I plan on spending at least an hour there. I let the boys play and munch on their lunchs.

When Joe takes the boys to McDonalds, he plans on spending about 15 minutes. The boys have to finish whatever they are going to eat before they are allowed to play and then they can play for a few minutes. While they are playing, he eats whatever they have left behind. If they come back looking for another chicken nugget, they are told that they should have eaten them more quickly.


As I said, this is not meant to imply that one method is better. Maybe, I shouldn't stuff my basement with toys for another child who may or may not (1) ever be born and (2) like those toys and maybe I should make them eat all their lunch before they can play. I was just noticing these things as differences and, perhaps, as metaphors for the difference between us in general.

1 comment:

  1. I think you can go ahead and imply away that your method is much better (sorry Joe!) I bet the boys would tend to agree.

    Did you get a new car yet?

    ReplyDelete