Tuesday, November 16, 2010

gymnastics again

(Sorry it takes me so long to get around to posting things. Blame it on my spotty Internet service. That's right Quest, I'm talking about you.)

About a week and half ago, Porter and Dallin had their semi-annual gymnastics tournament. Dallin was uncharacteristically nervous and kept making his shy faces. He did a good job with his actual gymnastics though.



When it was Porter's turn, I unfortunately turned into one of those terrible stage moms from Toddlers and Tiaras or something (Joe had a similar breakdown). Porter started out strong on the bars
on the beam, he could pick to do the easy routine or the hard. He chose the easy. I was annoyed with him, since I know he can do the hard routine and do it well. I still feel bad though, I don't know why it mattered so much to me but Porter is lucky that beam was only the second of four things because I might not have been able to speak to him if he hadn't had floor (which also didn't go as well as it should have for him) and vault to give me time to calm down. Honestly, did I think it reflected poorly on me, that he wouldn't get his participation trophy (because it is not a competition in any sense, it is just an exhibition). Even knowing that he can do it doesn't excuse me. If he feels nervous or something about doing the hard routine one day, I should let it go. I always get annoyed watching other parents try to push their kids into things they are not ready to not willing to do and yet I stood in the corner steaming about his lack cartwheels on the beam. I even feel kind of bad admitting it now, since I could have just posted some pictures and written what a good job they both did.


Dallin and Joe had a good time snuggling afterward
here are two proud boys with their medals and certificates





















1 comment:

  1. It takes strength to admit it when there is something we'd like to change in ourselves.

    I can't believe how big and capable your boys have gotten! I think it is fun that you have them learning gymnastics.

    ReplyDelete